Sunday, March 1, 2009

Framed. For. Life.

For those of you who don’t know, I recently took the plunge after umpteen years of wearing glasses and got contacts. I was immediately in love with the fact that I no longer smudged when I cuddled with M, didn’t fog up when I was at the gym…or um…anywhere in TX for that matter, or get my vision ripped off my face by my 1 ½ year old. I was living the dream. (And you’re thinking “HA! Way to dream big, A!”)

I must explain something to those of you who laughed. I’m extremely cheap. Especially when it comes to myself. I wouldn’t even think of spending the extra $100 for the eye exam alone – not even considering how much more $ the upkeep and constant purchasing of new contacts presented. I just figured it was my lot to wear glasses. Even after completely hashing and re-hashing the “Should I, Shouldn’t I?” discussion with M like 16 times, I still waffled once I was in the doctor’s office. I guess my selfishness prevailed…

Finally. After all this time. I could see clearly without something on my face. I had always been told that my eyes were my best feature and all this time I was covering them up. I felt pretty. I was out of my visual box & I felt free. I didn’t feel quite as nerdy either and I loved it!!

Sigh. Apparently it was not meant to be. I realized after a few days of wearing my trial pair that I had stopped seeing clearly out of my contacts. I went back to the doctor to see what she could do and after an hour of playing cat and mouse – so to speak – she said that my eyes just don’t like contacts. As soon as she fixed the vision in my left eye, my right eye would go blurry and so on and so on…

So now here I sit. Glasses it place. Seeing once again though a box. Blast you Astigmatism! Blast YOU!!!! You gave me my freedom only to snatch it away the instant I felt truly free. Oh, how you mock me.


Hmmm. I’ve been hearing good things about LASIK…

8 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Aaaahhhh.... I'm so sorry. I gave up on the glasses all together. Well, actually I lost them. But I haven't replaced them. So there. My Bro-n-law had lasik and LOVES IT! He has pretty eyes like you.... makes me sick. Go for it. What do you have to lose? Glasses?

Unknown said...

Lol, yeah as I was getting to the end, I was thinking there are surgeries that fix these things. But you already thought of that. Good luck figuring that one out. It's a tough decision.

Emm said...

See you were just destined to wear cool glasses :)

Jenny said...

Well that stinks! But hey,what a great excuse to get that Lasik! I'm dying for it, but will have to wait a few more years...(curse the myopic eyes of mine!!!) Don't worry, you're totally cute in glasses. You have this whole Lisa Loeb thing going.

Jared-Monica-Brooke-Caleb said...

Join the club!! I want Lasik so bad. I have to wait till I'm 25 and then for sure I'm going to get it!! I can't stand my glasses because of the fogging up!! Now your eyes will pop even more!!Beautiful!

Breanna said...

I shed a tear for you and your eye troubles. :) Just thankful I don't have eye challenges... guess you got those genes! Love ya! Can't wait to see you in... drum roll... a week!

Anonymous said...

But you look so cute in glasses! Seriously - not many can pull it off as well as you do.

KatieC said...

You guys are all crazy, the lot of you. I used to buy fake glasses and wear them around, because I wanted them so badly as a kid. As an adult, I just buy fake glasses and wear them around because, well, I still think they are cool.

I will admit that it is nice to be able to see the doorway in the middle of the night, but man, glasses are cool!