Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holiday-itis

Lately, I've been having a hard time feeling the Christmas 'spirit.' I have been Christmas shopping, I've listened to Christmas music, I've listened to Spiritual Christmas message after Spiritual Christmas message, I've decorated the inside and outside of my house and... nothing. At least not until today.

Today, I recalled the Christmases of my childhood. I remembered that every time a holiday was approaching, my mother was always in the kitchen. We each got to pick our favorite candy, cookie, etc and she would make them all... and then some! And so today, I've discovered that my holiday-self is encased in Chocolately Dipped Goodness, Sugar Cookies and Almond Rocha. Strange that it takes food to find myself... And strange how badly that works for my wasteline! But it is what it is, so why fight it? And so...

Today I am baking. MMMMM-MMM There's nothing like Christmas chocolates, cookies, and caramels to make you say, "It's a Jolly Holiday!" Or wait, was that Bert?? ... Anyway, I am transformed! I am so excited about Christmas and absolutely loving my time in the kitchen.

And now I say to you, if you are having a hard time getting in the Holiday Spirit, whip out those dishes and sacks of sugar and start baking. It'll make all those "Bah Humbugs" history.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am having a hard time feeling the spirit too. We don't have one Christmas decoration in our house because we will be in AZ through the holidays and that doesn't help. Also I love your idea to start baking to help, but my diabetes wouldn't be helped by that. Any other ideas?