Tuesday, December 30, 2008

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

You ever have those moments in life where a decision that is easily made and without much thought comes back to haunt you? Last night I decided that I needed a night out (I'd been stuck inside my house since the 24th and was going a little nuts) so I took the kids to the new movie Marley and Me.

We were enjoying it until we realized that the dog is going to die and then within minutes all three of us are bawling like little babies. I felt horrible to see my children actually crying over a movie. It was like I had personally caused their pain.

As I reflect on the night, I tend to vascillate between laughter (come on, tell me you're not a little amused at the thought of me turning to look at my kids and having them look back at me like "WHY? Mom!? Why did you force us see this?" and heart-wrenching guilt for making them cry because I needed a 'night out.' Ahhh, memories...

5 comments:

Breanna said...

you mean, mean mom! And remember when you thought I was bad for eating in front of my one year old! :) Love ya... totally know the whole going nuts thing! I hate that I can't just pack up and go look aound Joann's whenever I want! Still a little scared at taking two kids out.

Amber said...

Yeah, T's always saying "M-O-M, Mean Old Mom! ... Isn't that how you spell mean?" And then when I say, "No, T, you spell it m-e-a-n." She laughs and says, "You tricked me!"

Janelle said...

You probably would have been better off taking them to see Saw IV. I heard its really not that bad...
;)
xoxo!

Nicholas said...

Thanks for RUINING the movie for me! Holy crap...put some sort of disclaimer at the top of your blog, like "CAUTION: SPOILER ALERT" or "I'm a terrible person and may just ruin surprises for others who still haven't seen the movie"...My entire weekend is now shot. I have no idea what to do with myself...

Amber said...

Saw IV might not be such a bad idea... Hmmmm... lol

Nick! I had no idea I had that much influence over you. I feel so powerful! Feel like a game of Settlers?? I have a feeling I would 'squish you like grape.'