Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Me VS. the Machine

This morning as I went to the gym I saw that there was a spinning class in a hour. "Hmmm, that should be fun!" I thought. "I've got an hour and so I'll just go run uphill until then, and afterward I'll do the class. It should only be like a half hour long and it'll be a nice way to finish out my workout."

*Insert hysterical laughter; Follow with a few tears drenched in sweat.*

HOLY CRAP! Did I get my butt kicked or what? I only made it twenty minutes (of the not thirty, but sixty minute class) until my body gave out. As I got off the bike, while the rest of the class was still huffing and puffing along, (although you couldn't tell over MY huffing) and began my walk of shame toward the exit, I received the token, "Hey, good job anyway!" I respond with a shrug and an embarrassed smile as I limp out the door, all the while praying that the jello that once were my legs doesn't give out and embarrass me further.

So now, showered and sweat-free, I am feeling pretty darn proud of myself that I lasted the ten extra minutes of sheer torture after I decided that I wouldn't last another two. I mean, really. I could look at this as, "Man, I suck! I can't even finish a class." But instead, I'm enjoying the fact that those last ten minutes didn't beat me (even though the eleventh one did) and I'm already pondering when I'll get back on that wretched bike again. Most DEFINITELY without an hour workout prior. Hey, I even might make it thirty minutes!

So, YEAH for me and my sweaty moment of empowerment!!! Then again, this euphoria could be drug induced seeing as how I took 2 IBuprofen & 2 Tylenol as soon as I got home in an attempt to stave off the pain of my 'successful' workout. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud. SO incredibly good to hear!! Just remember - you have to go at least 3 times before you really get the hang of it... and if all else fails, just turn down the bike tension and fake it. :)

merathon said...

yeah, you'll be fine! and keep in mind that your butt will be sore for the first few times until it gets properly calloused in the right places-- then it's all "downhill" (no pun intended) after that! i LOVE my spinning classes and go as often as i can!

Breanna said...

I love it! I am so proud of you for making it to the gym at all! I have been struggling myself to keep exercising so I don't gain a ton with this pregnancy and I can't even make myself do anything yet... maybe after this week in McCall... "You are my inspiration... AMBER"

Nicole said...

I am so proud of you for even trying that is more then I would do. As I sit on the couch doing nothing while AJ sleeps.

KatieC said...

nicole, you and me sound alot alike.

I am terrible with exercising lately. Okay, I'm terrible always. My whole life is pretty much one big exercise VACUUM.

I think tomorrow I might walk a few blocks or maybe not. Reading your blog made me really tired.

Carina Olsen said...

Next time you go to the gym let me know. I want to bring my video camera!