Thursday, May 15, 2008

Moments to Remember

A is 10 months old today. It seems crazy to me that so much time has passed since his birth and our move. 10 months... And yet, at the same time, it feels like a lifetime ago. How does that happen? How is it that we live our lives for today and sometimes tomorrow, and then all of a sudden, yesterday is so far in the past that it stuns us and it's all we can do to relive the memories we do have?

I've been meaning to post for sometime now. But it seems that every time that I get on here and have a tidbit to say, it never seems important enough and so I put it off for another day when I'm 'hopefully' feeling more inspired than that moment in time. Not that I'm feeling all that 'inspired' today, I just realized that my baby will soon be 1 and I wanted to mark this not-so-significant day as significant. And then I get to thinking...

Why do I only mark the significant moments in my life? Why is it that births, deaths, anniversaries, holidays, and vacations tend to be the markers on my memories? Why is it so hard to remember that my little girl sleeps in underwear now and has only had one accident since the transition from pull-ups? Why is it that a momentus occasion of my son's first A-grade can bring about celebrations, but that the second is looked upon as the new standard? How is it that I neglect to record moments in my children's lives such as a first tooth grown or a first tooth lost and focus on the day to day calendaring activities? Do I not pay enough attention to what's going to be remembered by my children? Do I pay too much attention to what they see as insignificant? Probably.


And so here I am, trying to make a moment into one of my permanent memories. This picture was taken at an everyday, non-spectacular outing to the park. A friend happened to snap it while I was playing with A and viola, a priceless memory was created. With that said, here's to memories and the moments we take to give them the credit they deserve.

3 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Amen sister! You know, I think that every day is special. I mean, Something happened today. It may not have been the best thing ever but it still happened. Two thumbs up!

KatieC said...

What a beautiful kid. I agree with you on this, though it is hard to find the energy to celebrate everyday. I think picking a few random things to discuss and celebrate each month will be fun for you, and I should try to do the same.

Anonymous said...

I love this post - you're speaking my language. :) I never start out with anything exceptional to say until I start to say it. Then somehow one thought leads to another... What else can I say? I'm so glad your friend: 1. had a camera 2. thought to take a picture and 3. made the time to share it with you. It's beautiful!